VEGAN - GLUTEN FREE - DAIRY FREE
A quick post before I head out to work today - I baked some vegan (and gluten free) cookies yesterday and it was wonderful. I have been on a mission to cut down on dairy and animal products lately so here is a recipe for some lovely vegan jam flower cookies using flaxseed and almond meal. Honestly speaking, these cookies did take a little bit longer to make than average sugar cookies. But you know what? Sometimes, it takes a little longer to make nice things! :)
Dress them any way you want - chocolate, frosting or jam. I used Christina Maser's delicious nectarine jam with fresh rosemary and lemon from Farm To People. As mentioned in my previous post, Farm To People is an online curated marketplace where you can shop for high quality, hand-made, artisanal foods sourced from the finest small-batch producers in the Northeast. With that said, you can rest assured that all Christina Maser jams are locally crafted, GMO-free with nothing artificial. With a belief in eating what's fresh, seasonal, and local, Christina's Pantry work with each fruit as it comes in season. The sweet fruitiness of nectarine jam complements almond cookies perfectly. Packed with protein and healthy fats, these cookies are a perfect pairing with tea, coffee or a mid-morning snack!
INGREDIENTS (makes 24 mini cookies)
- Christina Maser Nectarine Jam
- 2 1/2 cups almond meal
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup raw coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp ground flax meal
- 3 tbsp almond milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Cookie cutters
- Rolling pin
- Preheat oven to 350F/176.6C
- In a bowl, whisk coconut oil, flax meal, almond milk and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, combine almond flour, raw coconut sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and sea salt. Add wet ingredients and mix well.
- Separate your dough into a ball, cover with cling wrap and place in the freezer for 15-20 minutes.
- Line cookie sheet with tin foil or parchment paper.
- Once the dough is set, flatten the dough with your hands or a rolling pin (I like to flatten the dough over cling wrap for a less sticky experience).
- Cut cookie shapes with cookie cutter and use your finger to lightly press a small dent in the middle (for jam filling).
- Line cookies on the baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cook for 15 minutes.
- Fill the dented centers of cookies with nectarine jam.
- Serve and enjoy!