I'm not usually the adventurous type when it comes to culinary oils, but when I was introduced to Nutiva's line of organic red palm oil, I was curious. When I opened my first jar of red palm oil, I noticed that it has this beautiful orangey yellow color along with a rich, buttery texture and a mild carrot-like flavor.
My first thought was, "This would be perfect for roasting veggies!"
My my second thought was, "It would so good in a sauté!"
And my final thought was, "I wonder what it would taste like in fried rice!"
So... I combined those three ideas together and ended up with the most deliciously roasted cauliflower, spicy bell pepper curry sauté and quinoa "fried rice".
I made this for my new roomies as our first official roomie lunch at my new apartment and they seemed to approve. I hope you enjoy the recipe below! :)
Roasted Cauliflower & Spicy Red Pepper Sauté with Quinoa Fried Rice
INGREDIENTS (makes 4 servings)
Quinoa "Fried Rice"
- 1 cup red quinoa
- 1 cup farro
- 1 cup brown rice
- 6 cups water
- 1 tbs organic red palm oil
- 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 1 cup mixed nuts (cashew, almond, pine nuts, etc)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- sea salt and pepper
- 6 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 4 tbs organic red palm oil
- 1/2 head of large cauliflower
- 4 small turnips, diced
- 5 carrots, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tbs organic red palm oil
- 4 bell peppers
- Thai yellow curry sauce
- kale, lemon and olive oil
- yellow cherry tomatoes
- red cabbage
Quinoa Fried Rice
- In a large pot or rice cooker, rinse and cook quinoa, farro and brown rice.
- Once the grains have finished cooking, heat garlic, onion and red palm oil in a large frying pan. You will notice that the red palm oil coats the garlic and onion in a rich yellow/orange color.
- Once the garlic and onion is fragrant, toss in the 1 cup of mixed nuts and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Next, add the cooked grains and mix well.
- Lastly, add 1/4 cup of finely chopped scallions.
Roasted Vegetables and Curry Sauté
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F/200 degrees C.
- Wash and prepare cauliflower, carrots and turnips into chunky bit size pieces and lay out on baking tray.
- Mix chopped garlic with 4 tablespoons of organic red palm oil. Coat veggies with oil and pop in the oven for 30-45 minutes.
- While the veggies are roasting, sauté garlic, onion, red bell peppers and red palm oil. Set aside.
- Once the veggies in the oven are cooked, combine roasted vegetables and bell pepper mix in a large stir fry pan and stir fry with some Thai yellow curry sauce.
- Enjoy with quinoa fried rice and top with fresh kale, berries, red cabbage and avocado.
Nutiva Organic Unrefined Red Palm Oil is fair trade certified, organic, Non-GMO, sustainable, habitat-friendly and orangutan-safe.