VEGAN - VEGETARIAN - DAIRY FREE
Nice things have been happening in my kitchen this week. Today's recipe is for a fig & onion wheat berry salad. If you're looking for a light but filling summer salad this weekend - this is it. I've been doing some recipe testing using some of the amazing goodies from Farm To People and the results have been more than wonderful. Today's key ingredients? Organic soft wheat berries, jam and perfectly ripe figs. First of all, I'm so happy it's finally fig season! Not only are they soft and delicious, figs also have some sort of magical power of always beautifying any dish. To add on to my fig obsession, I also picked out a jar of Anarchy In A Jar fig and onion jam and freshly packed Hudson Valley organic soft wheat berries from Wild Hive Farm, both available at Farm To People.
With it's chewy texture and a deliciously sweet and nutty flavour, wheat berries are healthy whole grains packed with fiber and vitamins. Whole grains are pretty much a staple in my kitchen. It's so quick and easy to turn them into healthy, tasty meals. One thing I love to do is to cook a big batch of whole grains (quinoa, spelt, wheat berries) at the beginning of the week and storing them in the fridge for easy and versatile meals throughout the week. It saves me a lot of time and allows me to plan my meals out more thoughtfully. The secret is to season well and the grains will pop with flavour and delicious goodness. Happy cooking!
Photos by Leanne Wei
INGREDIENTS (makes 2 servings)
- 1 cup organic soft wheat berries
- 3 cups water
- 2 tbspn Anarchy In A Jar Fig & Onion Jam
- 2 fresh figs, quartered
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 4 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 pink radish, thinly sliced
- 1 peach, diced
- 1/2 lemon
- handful of fresh mint, finely chopped
- daikon radish micro-greens
- 2 tbspn olive oil
- sea salt
- On a stove top or rice cooker, cook 1 cup of wheat berries with 3 cups of water and a dash of salt.
- While the wheat berries are cooking, wash and prep your fruit and veggies.
- Drain wheat berries (if necessary) and season with 2 tbsp of fig and onion jam, olive oil, lemon juice and a pinch of salt.
- Toss wheat berries with chopped fruit and vegetables together in a large bowl.
- Serve chilled and enjoy!